Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rhodiola rosea and Depression: Update I

Herbalgram report on Rhodiola rosea: read and download from Scribd.com

I've been taking Rhodiola rosea extract for the past few days and I have definitely noticed a positive effect in terms of mood and energy. I actually noticed an effect after the first dose, but couldn't be sure if it was solely due to the rhodiola. I took one day off, then decided to that I should take it every day in order to form a fair opinion of its effects. The second time I took it I again noticed greater energy and a brightening effect in my visual field. I made sure to take it apart from my usual morning cocktail of vitamins and herbs. There was no mistaking the effects this time.

I purchased bulk Rhodiola rosea extract powder and made my own capsules. Pictured above is 500mg of extract in a "OO" sized capsule.

I had ordered Rhodiola rosea extract powder from Beyond a Century a few months ago, but was hesitant to try it because I knew it could affect neurotransmitters. My experiences with niacin and folic acid have taught me that supplements and herbs that affect neurotransmitter production and reuptake could potentially interact with my meds in a negative way. In the case of niacin and folic acid, I tend to feel tired and sluggish. I attribute this to an overproduction or lessening of the reuptake of serotonin. I do not get this effect with rhodiola. In fact, I feel more alert and my mind moves faster.

The Rhodiola rosea I purchased is standardized to 3% Rosavins. I do not know the concentration of Salidrosides. I have heard that the ideal ratio of Rosavins to Salidrosides is 3:1. The extract powder is very resinous and is quite bitter. It also seems to be somewhat hydrophobic and coats your tongue and the inside of your mouth. I have a pretty good tolerance for the taste of bitter herbs, but rhodiola is a bit too much for my liking. I decided it'd be easier to make my own capsules using OO-sized gelatin capsules and my Cap-M-Quik capsule machine that I purchased from the guys at Purebulk.com. If you do decide to take the powder raw, have a sweet drink or candy ready as a chaser.

My curiosity piqued, I went to the library and read through a copy of The Rhodiola Revolution by Richard P. Brown M.D., Patricia L. Gerbarg M.D. and Barbara Graham. Both Brown and Gerbarg are practicing psychiatrists and take rhodiola for certain health conditions and as an energy booster. They also recommend rhodiola to some of their psychiatric patients and report little to no adverse reactions with any medications including antidepressants and mood stabilizers (see Important below). The book also contains a good summary of the physiology of stress and how rhodiola might help to build a tolerance to its deleterious effects.

As doctors with a healthy dose of scientific skepticism, Brown and Gerbarg went straight to the source, literally, by contacting Dr. Zakir Ramazanov, a Russian plant biochemist and molecular biologist that participated in formerly classified research on adaptogens. He discovered the power of Rhodiola rosea after taking it while serving in the military and later used the herb to cure his Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Dr. Ramazanov shared his extensive findings with the authors and even took them to one of remote mountainous regions in Siberia where Rhodiola rosea grows naturally. It is believed that the difficult conditions in which the plant grows may be the stimulus for the plant to produce its adaptogenic substances.

I plan to continue taking Rhodiola rosea for the time being as part of my daily blend of herbs and supplements. I have heard that rhodiola can lose its effect over time and is best cycled. If I find this to be the case, I will report back with my experience. If anything, my positive results from taking rhodiola remind me to keep an open mind and to be continually humbled by the healing nature of herbs. I urge you to cultivate your belief in the possibility of healing from depression and anxiety and to remain steadfast for as long as it takes to find relief. I know what it's like to suffer deeply and I also know that there is always hope.

For more information on Rhodiola rosea, the author's of the book The Rhodiola Revolution along with Dr. Zakir Ramazanov have published a nice report in the publication Herbalgram. Click here to read and download from Scribd.com.


Important: The authors are clear to highlight a slight risk when taking rhodiola for activating mania in bipolar individuals who are not currently on mood stabilizers or in a stable condition. If you are prone to manic or hypomanic states, take a small dose of rhodiola to see if it affects you in a negative way. Do not mix rhodiola with other stimulants and take your dose in the morning if you are prone to insomnia.



*As you should know, the purpose of this blog is not to make recommendations for treatment. I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be. You are responsible for your own health and you should always consult with your doctor before trying any medications, supplements or herbs. I tell my doctor about any supplements that I take and I have her approval as long as they are helping and not hurting my recovery.*

No comments:

Post a Comment