Friday, September 17, 2010

Quitting Smoking (Again) and Herbal Chicken Soup

September 13, 2010

It's day three of not smoking. As usual, I reached well beyond the point where smoking was enjoyable and had to face the fact that I was chasing something that wasn't real. The more I smoked, the more I smoked. There was no end in sight. As usual, I had to chuck an unfinished pack in the trash. The act of voluntarily getting rid of perfectly good smokes is the symbolic gesture that begins the ritual transformation of kicking the habit. Finishing a pack just won't go it; that's just a natural pause in the game of smoking. But throwing away smokes is sacrilege; only a non-smoker can do that. In order to quit smoking I must become a non-smoker. There is no other way.

I had a very hard time waking up this morning. Still tired even after eight hours in bed. I guess I didn't eat enough last night. This is becoming an issue. I am not used to having to eat more food just to be able to feel normal. I am very wary of not overeating, but I think my metabolism is speeding up from the weight training. Other than that, I've been getting very little exercise as of late. That was because of the smoking. As a smoker, I didn't exercise that much. As a non-smoker, I can exercise all I want. I might as well, since that's one of the best reason's not to smoke, to embrace health. I don't feel too healthy today, however, despite going to the gym yesterday. That's why I went to the market to get myself some herbs.


I bought this pre-mixed package of herbs for less than $3
I went to check on the chicken soup and it is looking good. Absolutely no scum, just some yellow fat/oil that I skimmed off. I bought a free-range chicken and a packet of herbs from the herb lady. I told her I was making chicken soup and I wanted some herbs to "boost qi". She reached up and pulled a packet out of one of the bags hanging from the frame of her stall. I asked her what it was called, but she just told me how many herbs were in the packet. Thanks. I guess I understand that most people don't know anything about Chinese herbs, so it's pointless to try to explain what the individual herbs are much less what they do. I hope I can slowly show her that I know a thing or two and that I'm interested in learning whatever she has to share.

There were nine different herbs in the packet, all very fresh. 

Based on some experience and several online resources, I think I've identified the herbs. Following a counterclockwise spiral from the top left their Chinese Pin Yin and Latin pharmaceutical names are:
 
  • Shan Yao/Rhizoma Dioscoreae
  • Huang Qi/Radix Astragali
  • Dang Shen/Radix Codonopsis pilosulae
  • Yu Zhu/Rhizoma Polygonati Odorati
  • Da Zao/Fructus Jujubae
  • Gou Qi Zi/Fructus Lycii
  • Gai Ben.Rhizoma Ligustic
  • Bai Zhu/Rhizoma Atractylodis macrocephalae
  • Gan Cao/Radix Glycyrrhizae

Most of these herbs tonify the Spleen and Qi and remove dampness. This means that they make your digestion stronger and prevent bloating and undigested food sitting in your gut. They also enhance your metabolism and boost energy production. The Gou Qi Zi a.k.a. Goji Berries or Chinese Wolfberries add some Yin to the mix, to balance out all the dry, warm herbs. The Yu Zhu a.k.a. Solomon's Seal also helps to moisten and nourish Yin. Gan Cao a.k.a. Licorice Root is added to many formulas to harmonize the actions of the other herbs and to shore up digestion as well.

The aroma of the herbs and chicken is so good. Note the yellow fat. The leftovers turned to a thick, collagen-rich gelatin in the fridge.

The soup is a bit tart and sweet. I added some salt and I think it'll be ready to eat in about 10 minutes. Oops, I forgot to make rice. Stupid.

Why am I so absent-minded these days? Is it because of the smoking? Is it the depression coming back? Is it "normal"? Will I ever be able to know if the way I feel is normal, is justified and I don't have to worry about it?

Well, when my mind starts going a little too fast or in a negative direction, it's usually time to eat. I guess adults can be like cranky babies before they get their bottle. I sure hope babies don't have existential crises every time they get hungry.

The soup is delicious and nourishing. I'm very fortunate that I can walk 10 minutes to the market to buy fresh meat and herbs. Food truly is the first medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment